How to register digital signature on traces
Follow these steps to Register DSC on Traces:-
- Open Traces site
- Click on Register as new User.
- Select “Deductor” as the type of user.
- Click on proceed Tab.
- Enter TAN of the deductor.
- Enter verification code and click on proceed.
- Enter Token Number/Provisional Receipt Number.
- Enter challan details and fill all Details.
- On Confirmation page confirm all Details.
- After that click on Registration Tab and registered.
Steps of Installation of Install Digital Signature certificate PFX file/Hard Token
Requirement for usage of Digital signature certificate :
- Valid Digital Signature should be obtained from Third Party Vendor.
- Only class 2 or class 3 digital Signature certificates are allowed for the purpose of
registration on TRACES.
- TRACES supports downloadable pfx files as well as Crypto Tokens (Hard Token) for Digital Signature Registration
- However, it is advisable to use certificate downloaded on hard crypto token (USB protection device)
- For Hard Token based certificates, please refer manual provided by Certifying
Authority for certificate download, enrollment and usage of hard token.
Error Messages at the time of Register Digital Signature (Contd.)
- When certificate registered is about to expire, a prompt will be shown on the screen intimating the user regarding expiry of DSC. (“Your certificate will expire in ‘n’ days”)
- If certificate registered earlier, has expired then previous certificate details will not be shown to user. Instead, digital signature registration screen will be displayed with “Register DSC” button for initiation of fresh DSC registration
- •In case certificate used has been revoked by certain Certifying Authority and Certificate Revocation List maintained on the server has been updated with the corresponding crl(certificate revoking list) file, user shall not be allowed to register revoked certificate on TRACES. Error message will be displayed while registration
The Centralized Processing Cell (TDS) has released a new feature on its web-portal TRACES, where a Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) can be used for availing various services offered by the portal.
You are advised to take note of the following key information in this regard:
Under Information Technology Act, 2000, a “Digital Signature” means authentication of any electronic record by a subscriber by means of an electronic method or procedure in accordance with the provisions of section 3.
The Digital Signature keeps record of the person who is availing the facility.
Please exercise caution in use of Digital Signature and should not be shared in any circumstances. If shared, the person using DSC shall also be liable to consequences.
In accordance with the Information Technology Act, 2000, every subscriber shall exercise reasonable care to retain control of the private key corresponding to the public key listed in his Digital Signature Certificate and take all steps to prevent its disclosure to a person not authorised to affix the digital signature of the subscriber
TRACES has provided facility for Admin and Sub-users to facilitate authorised Sub-users to carry out activities on TRACES and submit to the Admin user. The Admin user has the rights to approve the activities using the DSC.
It is therefore, advised to refrain from using the Digital Signature of any person other than the Authorised Person appointed by the deductor, for carrying out any activity on TRACES.
Please note that the “Authorised Person” is referred to as “Person Responsible” in accordance with Section 204 read with Section 200 of the Income Tax Act, 1961 and other relevant provisions for deduction of tax. (Source- Traces)